Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does the insurance have coverage for COVID-19?
Yes, the insurance covers in case of being diagnosed with COVID-19, where you can have Medical Assistance coverage for illness, which covers medical consultation, medical tests and hospitalization expenses. Additionally, it has coverage of Accommodation Expenses for Isolation in case of receiving a health order.
2. What is the difference between international insurance coverage of $50,000 and local insurance coverage of $20,000?
If you bring your own international medical expense insurance, the minimum coverage must be $50,000 and it must specify coverage for COVID-19. However, when purchasing local health insurance, the minimum required by the Health Authorities is $20,000. Either of these two options must include coverage of at least $2,000 for Lodging Expenses in case of isolation.
Our coverage includes: $20,000 for Medical Expenses and $4,000 for Lodging Expenses in case of isolation.
3. What are the requirements to enter the country?
At this time, and as of APR/01, 2022, there is no specific requirement to enter the country. However, it is always highly recommended to travel with insurance to be able to enjoy with peace of mind.
It is also important that the support is local with an insurer regulated within the Costa Rican territory.
4. Does the insurance have a family plan option?
Yes, you can purchase family plans between 2 and 4 members per family, which have a preferential price.
5. How many days of coverage can I purchase?
You can purchase between 3 and 90 days of coverage.
6. What is the price of the insurance?
The daily price of the insurance varies according to the number of days of your trip.
- For example: in an individual plan for a person under 70 years of age, in a 3-day trip, the daily value is $11.30, a 7-day trip, the daily value is $11.10 and if your trip is 15 days, the daily value becomes $10.80, and so on.
7. Does the insurance have a deductible or copay?
No, the insurance does not have any deductible or copay when using the coverage.
8. How can I request the use of coverage?
At the time you require to use the coverage, please contact our Customer Service specialists at + 506 4000-6987, or our WhatsApp +57 (318) 554-4699, in order to provide you with all the advice and support required.
9. Can I buy multiple plans to expand the amount of my insurance?
No, you can only purchase one plan per insured.
10. What should I report on the Health Pass as insurance support?
In the Health pass you must indicate the Policy Number (begins with SCR...) that you will receive in your email, at the time of finalizing the purchase of your insurance.
11. How can I request a copy of the insurance certificate?
You will receive a copy of your insurance certificate in your email, once you have completed the purchase. If you require a copy of your insurance certificate, please contact our Customer Service specialists at +506 4000-0914, or through our chat in the Sagicor Store or by mail at email@example.com, in order to make required shipping.
12. Does the insurance have a waiting time to be able to use it?
The insurance does not have a waiting period, its coverage begins when you arrive in Costa Rica.
13. Does the insurance cover pre-existing conditions?
You will be covered if you require a clinical consultation due to a pre-existing illness.
14. What should I present in case I need to make use of the Accommodation Expenses for Isolation coverage, due to the diagnosis of COVID-19?
To make use of the coverage, please contact our Customer Service specialists at our telephone line and WhatsApp + 506 4000-0914, in order to provide you with all the advice and details of the requirements to present, which would be:
- Sanitary Isolation Order that expressly indicates the period of days for which it is issued.
- Copy of the original reservation and proof of income of the Insured Person.
- Invoices that support the expenses generated by lodging.
15. How can I process the cancellation / change of insurance, in the event of a trip cancellation?
If you need to cancel or change the Insurance, please contact the email firstname.lastname@example.org or our chat at Tiendasagicor.com. The cancellation can be made if it is within 5 business days after the purchase and provided that the coverage period has not started.
16. Can I buy the insurance when I am already in CR?
The ideal is to acquire the insurance before, however alternatives will be enabled to purchase the insurance prior to going through the control of the Immigration Authorities.
17. In case of extension of travel days, can I buy more days of coverage?
Yes, you can purchase more days of coverage if needed. However, the following should be considered:
- That no assistance service has been used within the validity of the policy.
- That the current policy has not expired. If it had expired and if the issuance of a new policy was authorized, the first five (5) days of validity of the new plan will be considered as a grace period and exemption from liability for providing services or benefits.
- All medical assistance treated in the first plan will automatically be considered as pre-existing during the validity of the second plan and therefore will not be assumed.
- The acquisition of one or more medical assistance services does not produce the accumulation of the services or amounts of medical assistance and/or benefits or of the time contemplated in them. In these cases, only the limits established in the services that are most beneficial may be applied.
18. Does this insurance cover Costa Rican citizens or residents who wish to travel outside of Costa Rica?
No, this policy only covers international tourists who wish to visit Costa Rica. For nationals or residents who wish to travel outside of Costa Rica, they can obtain the Costa Rican Traveler Insurance on the Sagicor Store website, or contact +506 4000-0914 (phone or WhatsApp) for more information.
19. Where can I see the details of the coverage and exclusions of the policy?
These details can be found in the links located in the footer of our website in the Legal Documents section.
20. When will I receive my Insurance Certificate and be able to complete the Health Pass?
You will most likely receive your Certificate of Assurance within 2 hours of your purchase, sometimes it can take up to 24 hours. In this case you have nothing to worry about, your order is being processed. Once you have received your Insurance Certificate, and before going to the airport, you can include this same policy number when completing the 'Health Pass' (available at https://salud.go.cr/). In case your flight leaves the country of origin in the next 12 hours, please contact us at SCR_TiendaSagicor@sagicor.com to help you with the validation process.
21. How can I request the use of the coverage for the Hosting Plan?
When requesting to use the coverage, please contact our Customer Service specialists at + 506 4000-0914, or with our chat or email service channels email@example.com.
The requirements to activate the coverage are the following:
- Submit a Sanitary Order with the period of isolation.
- Present a copy of the original reservation and proof of income of the insured person.
- Proforma invoice or reservation quote.
- Policy number.
- Passport copy.
- Name of the hotel where you are going to stay, hotel phone number and name of the administrator.
Please send the complete requirements via email to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org